Friday, December 3, 2010

Why? Generosity.

So, I knew I wanted to start the blog rolling on a positive note.  Pick something wonderful about CLE to kvell about.  And I didn't want to just add my voice to the many who discussed a certain sporting event that occurred yesterday evening...the market was pretty much cornered on every aspect of that situation.  (Although, if you haven't seen it yet, and have kleenex nearby, check out ESPN's Believeland article.)

I had an idea, which I ran past CLEguy (my partner in most things and now an unwitting blog character).  I told him my first answer to "Why Cleveland?" was generosity.  And not just in an anecdotal way.  I said I bet we gave more to charities than people in other cities.  He asked what the blog would be about if the facts didn't back that up.  Well, lucky for me, the first answer to "Why Cleveland?" is most definitely generosity.

According to Charity Navigator, an organization that researches charities in order to better inform donors, the 39 largest charities in Cleveland are far exceeding the national average in total revenue and assets.  For 2010, total revenue was $8.6 million, outstripping the national average by $3.4 million.  Total assets stood at a staggering $30.8 million, beating the national average by $23.1 million.

Wow CLE!  In a time where Cleveland has been hit harder than most by the economic downturn, people are still recognizing need and giving where and when it counts.  It says a lot about the heart of a city when people can see beyond their own need to the needs of the whole.  And it definitely makes me proud to be able to say "generosity" as an answer to "Why Cleveland?"

For more info on Charity Navigator's study and the 39 largest charities in Cleveland click here.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah!! It's great to see such a positive reason to love Cleveland! I just moved here 2.5 years ago (which was tough at first, not gonna lie) but I've definitely come to love it here! I'm a newbie to blogging too and am glad to see so many CLE bloggers talk so positively about the city. I'm going to reference this post next time someone asks me "WHY IN THE WORLD did you move to Cleveland?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I've always worked for non-profits so I see the generosity of Clevelanders on a regular basis. The people of this town amaze me with their want to help others in whatever way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Cleveland has such a rich history of philanthropy that I am proud to be a part of. The Cleveland Foundation, for example, is the oldest community foundation in the WORLD. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete